The Mino Kaneyama Castle Ruins are designated as a National Historic Site. They are a model example of the type of castles used during the time of Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Even now, the stone walls, roof tiles, and foundations of the building still remain.
This castle was constructed by Saito Masayoshi, who belonged to a family of shugo daimyo (military governors). It was constructed under the name Uho Castle in 1537. In 1565, Mori Yoshinari, a retainer of Oda Nobunaga, became governor of the castle and renamed it Kaneyama Castle. The castle was destroyed following the Battle of Sekigahara. There is also a rumour that it was replaced by Inuyama castle. Here, one can see the engineering technology of the day, as well as the appearance of the castle following its destruction.
◇Other names: Kaneyama Castle, Uho Castle, ? Castle type: Teikaku-shiki Mountain castle
◇Date of construction: 1537 (Tenmon 6)
◇Main constructor: Saito Masayoshi
◇Main lords of the castle: the Saito family, the Mori family, the Ishigawa family
◇Date of destruction: 1600 (Keicho 5)